Below is our recent interview with Ross Overline, Co-Founder & CEO at Scholars of Finance:
Q: Could you provide our readers with a brief introduction to your company?
A: Scholars of Finance is a rapidly growing organization on a mission to inspire character and integrity in the finance leaders of tomorrow. We seek to solve the world’s largest problems by investing in undergraduate students through leadership development, mentorship, and the active support of purpose-driven finance executives and investors. Our members then join top firms, funds, and a life-long support community that empowers them to spend their careers serving the greater good using the biggest lever in the world: finance. Since incorporating in 2017 we’ve brought together 400+ executives to impact 1,500+ students across 30+ universities, and we’re just getting started.
Q: Any highlights on your recent announcement?
A: Scholars of Finance has had a breakout year, thanks to our committed community of students, mentors, speakers, and donors. To date, we’ve reached 1,500+ students across 30+ universities. Chris Larsen, Co-Founder of Ripple, donated $1,000,000 to SOF this quarter, accelerating our momentum and poising us for even more impact in 2022 and beyond. We’ve made a lot of progress and are just getting started – on our mission to inspire character and integrity in the finance leaders of tomorrow.
Q: Can you give us more insights into your offering?
A: At Scholars of Finance have 6 Core Values: Integrity, Humility, Curiosity, Courage, Impact, Compassion. We continuously work to examine and focus on these values through our 5 core programs:
- Leadership Development Program: Students spend seven weeks in discussion with their peers to examine the values, character, and disciplines necessary to become future financial leaders.
- Values Forums: Chapters host large-group discussions about how to apply our core value of the month to their lives and future finance career, while fostering a stronger chapter community.
- Mentorship Network: Students are paired with professionals in finance for monthly 1:1 coaching to help them develop character and accelerate professional and personal growth.
- Speaker Series: Chapters host executives to discuss topics such as their career journey, personal growth advice, and how they navigate real-life, challenges and opportunities in finance.
- Symposia: Executives and students come together for panel discussions on principled leadership followed by dinner to continue the conversation in an intimate setting with peers and mentors.
Q: What can we expect from your company in the next 6 months? What are your plans?
A: Over the next 6 months, we will aim to grow our team by 3-4x. We will increase our focus on chapter health and member success while improving program scalability. We are also in early conversations about launching our first investment fund to teach our students purpose-driven, values-based leadership in the context of real investment decision-making.
Q: What is the best thing about your company that people might not know about?
A: We are feedback-focused! Our culture is built around continually improving ourselves through personal development and our programs by getting feedback from members and employees. Our aim is to become the best versions of ourselves, design and implement insightful and impactful programs for our members, and through our members change the finance industry and the world for the better.